Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Couple Quick Chile Facts...



The sight of Santiago's skyline often brings tears to my eyes...I cannot express how many times I have flipped through random pictures of my homeland and cried histerically at my computer. Below is a picture of the BEAUTIFUL city of Santiago, which I call HOME...



The history of Chile is rather complicated. Although Chile declared her independence on September 18, 1810 ("Fiesta Patrias" = Independence Day) the country has rarely been considered stable.

In 1970 Salvador Allende came to power. After only 3 short years Dr. Allende was killed, his government was over-turned and his entire family was exhiled from the country.

In 1973 General Augusto Pinochet came to power with his right wing government. He ruled the country with military like principles and although he was liked by many- it is SAID he was an evil man, ruling the country with an unfair iron hand.

Since Pinochet lost power the country is said to have flourished. Chile is becoming one of the richest countires in South America as they have the appropriate climate, land, and geopgraphic location to be HUGE exporters in their region.

In January of 2006, Chile elected their FIRST female president :) Michelle Bachelet has been leading the Chilean government for the past two years. One of her main goals as President, is to close the gap between the wealthy and poor people of Chile. Below is a link to an article from when she was first elected...explaining some of her ideas and plans for the country.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/latin_america/jan-june06/chile_1-16.html




For more detailed information and OTHER interesting facts about Chile, please check out the link below...


http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/places/countries/country_chile.html


Before I went on to talk about my American mother, I figured it would be cool to post a few things relating to the homeland of my first mother...I hope you explore and enjoy the above links.

Be back later, until then-- PEACE and VIVA CHILE!!!!!!!

No comments: