Saturday, October 11, 2008

25 Years Ago...

25 years ago I was relinquished to the private adoption system in Santiago, Chile. I was the product of a brutal rape, my mothers family was poor and not supportive of the pregnancy. This "forced" my mom to hand me over to the adoption system. I came to this country in 1983...my name was quickly stripped from me. Ninoska Andrea Sarria Diaz became Rachel Ellen Cooper. My native language and culture became as foreign to me as the soil from which I had come.


I had wondered about my roots since as early as I can remember. I am an inquisitive individual and remember asking frequent questions but receiving SHORT answers from my parents here in the U.S.

I have a brother who is also adopted from Chile. We are not biologically related BUT he is my "REAL" brother... (I am always disturbed when people question the "reality" of my sibling...OF COURSE HE IS MY REAL BROTHER but no, we are not biologically from the same gene pool).



My heart was lonely- for it missed the heart that it once was beating insync with. After birthing a child of my own and marrying, the desire to find my mother grew stronger than ever before. Although I knew an international search was going to be difficult- I set out on my journey, determined to find my mother that I had left behind years ago.


...I found her! My mother and I have been in contact for the last 3 years. We speak frequently and I have overcome the language barrier by learning to speak fluent spanish. I left behind 4 siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins. To have them back in my life is a feeling I cannot describe.



....25 years later I am going HOME. In 2 months I will finally reunite (in person) with the loved ones I left so long ago. I am scared, anxious, excited...probably a little bit of everything...but I am going HOME!!!!!!!!!!!



Welcome to my blog. Enjoy my journey.

No comments: