Sunday, January 4, 2009

GIVE Something Greater...?!?!?!

I have always viewed MOST American People as selfish and greedy. They want more and more for themselves, often owning 4 or 5 vehicles with only two eligible drivers in the home. They talk about nothing but their possessions...how they have "everything" and don't "need anything from anyone." Well, if you and your family indeed have EVERYTHING--- give something to someone who does not.


For only $250.00 you can pay for ALL the expenses to repair a childs cleft lip or pallet. Samson, Dominick and I have been devoted supporters of Smile Train...an organization that helps give "life" a whole new meaning to children who have NOTHING. Not even a smile :(




For the first year, I changed our rules. Typically, Dominick gets ONE present for Hanukah, ONE present for his birthday and ONE present for Christmas...Samson and I do not spend a penny on one another and we donate money to repair cleft pallets instead of going over board on gifts for our son and family members.


But this year was different. Over the past 3 years that I have been speaking to my biological mom in Chile, we have talked about EVERYTHING. From her problematic family to her self- distructive lifestyle. I've never seen her smile and often asked why. She explained she had no teeth on the top of her mouth and that the bottom ones were in bad shape.


SOOOOO, while in Chile- I took my mom to multiple dentists. A radiograph clinic to get a full mouth series of X-RAYS for her...the periodontist to treat her severe gum disease...the dentist to extract her rotten teeth...and a dental lab to build her some prostetics/dentures.


Dominick still received his 3 gifts, one for each respected holiday/occaision. But this year, he got a lecture on how our extra money will help Abuelita smile again. Samson and I paid for all her dental work while we were in Chile. Her new SMILE should be complete within a year :) My mom and I are pictured below in the dentist office.











To new SMILES...and the beauty of giving BACK. Along with a promise that we didnt forget all the little children from Smile Train. We promise to give smiles to you kids too!!!

PEACE.

1 comment:

jimm said...

Something greater is right!
I am one of those selfish Americans who will be making a change in my gift-giving habits.
Thank you.