Tuesday, November 25, 2008

So Others Might Eat...







I am SUPER appreciative that my family has always enforced the importance of giving back to my community and to those who have less than myself, even if I don't have a lot.



My daddy taught me at an early age that it was better to do a million favors for someone (and get nothing in return), than it was to be the one asking for favors. Through serving the homeless people (of our nations capital) I was taught by my mother, that a little bit of help can bring BIG smiles to typically sad faces.



I was taught by my Grandparents to never be greedy and to always put something aside for those that live differently than myself. They taught me the importance of GIVING. And I was taught by my ever-loving Bubbie to always be kind because you just never know what people are dealing with and you get NOTHING out of being grouchy. I am hoping to pass all these values on to my son and any future children I may have. I feel it is essential to start EARLY and lead by example. Don't talk about it and send checks- just get out there and DO IT.




With no further said, Dominick and I will be participating in our second fund raising 5K race this year. Yup, I said it- my 5 year old runs (walks) 3.25 mile races with me to benefit those less fortunate or to fight diseases that have touched our lives.




Since it is Thanksgiving, I will be emphasizing to Dominick how thankful we are for having a HOME and FAMILY to eat with and celebrate with...and for THAT reason we are running (Dominick = walking) in the 7th annual S.O.M.E. Turkey Trot!!!!





S.O.M.E. stands for "So Others Might Eat" and this non-profit organization has been serving the homeless community of Washington, DC for years. They provide food, clothing, healthcare, and plenty other services. The TURKEY TROT is a race to raise money to feed the homeless a GOOD Thanksgiving dinner in a warm shelter. Have you ever stopped to think about those that have no place to go on Thanksgiving day?





If you have it in your heart to help the homeless...trot off a few calories with Dominick and I on Thanksgiving Day before you stuff your face with oodles of calories later at your hearty feast. Or if attending an 8:30 am race does not appeal to you, you could always make a small donation and sponser Dominick and I in our RACE to stop hunger! 100% of the proceeds go directly to the organization :)






To read more about this TURKEY TROT, click here.





To donate and support us, hit THIS puppy!




Goodnight...and a HAPPY HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!!




PEACE & A FULL BELLY!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Cloverland Farm said...

so wonderful you have your son walk with you!!!