Friday, December 5, 2008

"And a little child shall lead them..."




I read only one blog on a daily basis. I don't have much time for blogging but I enjoy this blog and have found it's the only blog thus far, that I consistantly seem to enjoy reading. She writes about everything...but I particularly LOVE her knowledge on international adoption.


Her most recent blog was about transracial adoptions...LOVE IT and MUST talk about it!


I have mentioned before in my blog the pain of having my racial identity supressed by my parents. Particularly my father who probably secretly hates me for being so relentless in discovering my racial identity and for demanding that he NOT refer to me as "white."


WELL, I am not the only one hurting...


As, THIS article points out, "for a transracial adoptee, race is like another missing parent. In fact, transracial adoptees hunger for heritage at a younger age than their white counterparts, searching for their parents on average five years earlier (25.8 vs 31.2), and looking not just for parents but also for a racial identity."


And check THIS article for some informative bits of knowledge on how transracial adoptions are viewed by adoptees, as well as professionals who have been reseacrhing the topic for decades.


Ohhhh, I am SUPER happy that the one blog I follow happens to be managed by a social worker who is always researching this topic.


When reading the information she provided (and that I have now linked YOU all to check out) I came across the biblical quote "and a little child shall lead them" Isaiah 11:6. It made me burst into tears. I want to be the little child that leads her parents into recognizing the importance of finding racial and cultural identity. I don't want them to be mad at me but I want them to investigate exactly how CRUCIAL this is.


I cried like a baby again when I finished watching a video Laura had posted...the final sentence of the video read- "Possessions in my hands will never be as valuable as peace in my heart."


By the way...Have I mentioned I leave to reunite with my family in Chile in 7 days?!?!?


PEACE OUT my friends :)


No comments: